Monday, February 27, 2012

Jungle Fever!!

Friday, Feb 24th

Our last full day in the jungle and it was a great one.  It started at 6am with a canoe ride on the river to look for more wildlife, specifically an anaconda.  Although we did not see the anaconda on our morning trip, we did see the river dolphins again and a Tucan! It was one of the only birds we really wanted to see so well worth the trip. 



We were back to the lodge by 8am for breakfast which was once again, wonderful.  I am not a pancake fan, or a marmalade fan, but I am now a jungle pancake & marmalade fan. Best pancakes ever!  The juices they always have are just fantastic too. The worst part, even when I asked what they were I either couldn't understand or forgot... Except, I did remember the passion fruit. The name was an easy one. The rest were apparently a bit too exotic for me to remember!

Now that we were all full from breakfast it was time to go on a jungle walk so back in the canoe for a short drive.  We then all get out to start our hike. Here we found out that 2% of the jungle in Ecuador is rain forest and there are I think 3 additional different types of rain forest. Juan showed us things such as natural nail polish, a leaf the natives used to use to write messages to one another using a stick to write with, a huge caterpillar, more monkeys, seceda hive (which is a bit phalic), some tree sap that they used to use to start fires which worked really well since most of the wood is wet.  We also were introduced to lemon ants which are very tiny & live in a tree in which nothing else grows around it.  Juan was a great guide but was super funny with his answers sometimes. I asked if we cut the lemon tree in half, if it would be hollow with only ants in it and his answer pertained not at all to my question. We determined, this was his reaction if he either didn't understand the question or didn't know the answer.

We also found the muddy part of the forest!  Mud up to our knees or more in which we had to cross!  Connie barreled right through. I'm not sure how she did that as with each step I took, I felt pulled in, suctioned actually. However, my boots were shorter & not tight around my calfs like hers were so let's just say there was much more room for mud entry! I'll have to post the pics later of us not only going through the mud, but me trying to get my boots off. Quite funny!

After we were all muddied up... We found some more jungle weed for the new group to try. We also found some vines to swing on, which was quite fun to play Tarzan & Jane for a while. 



We also got to meet the most poisonous frog in the jungle.  What I found interesting about this, is it is apparently only deadly if eaten.


We were off once again in the canoe. We went to the Lagoona to take a little swim with the pirahnas and river dolphin.  We didn't stay long as we needed to get back for lunch, but being the really only warm day we've had, so decided this was our chance to swim in the jungle, so myself, Connie, Sergio & Juan all jumped in. I had to giggle a bit cuz Juan just dropped his pants and jumped in the water in his underware which is totally fine, but they looked like underware I would buy Spencer!
On our way back to the lodge for lunch, Juan and his eagle eyes spotted an Anaconda! 


Our trip was complete with all the animals and creatures we wanted to see.  Except, of course, the jaguar!  Apparently they are a few in the jungle, but in 8 years of being a guide, Juan hasn't seen one so even my offering him a big tip didn't help!

Again, lunch was great. We got to taste baked yuca which was better than French fries!  And now, for the first time on out trip, Connie and I were truly able to kick our feet up and enjoy the hammocks!  And let me tell ya, with a cold cerveza and some good conversation with our new friend Corrie from Canada. It was great and relaxing!
















After a couple beers, it was time to hit the water again (with a Pilsner in hand this time).


We started out with some more pirahna fishing in which this time, I caught the biggest (and look at those teeth!!) Well, besides Jimmy, but he is a 10 year veteran so I took the win for the tourists anyway. Jimmy for sure took the win on number of catches though... He pulled in a whopping 10 fish, including the worlds smallest piranha and he caught a perch by its belly. Seriously crazy.





After we ran out of bait, we headed back to the Lagoona for a sunset swim. It was beautiful. The water was great. The company was a blast. It was just a great time.






Back in the boat we started heading back and of course, eagle eye Juan just happened to find 2 more black caimans and another anaconda. Seriously, that man is one with the jungle!

After the night out and another great dinner, we once again enjoyed the hammocks, another cerveza and our new friends.  most of us even feel asleep on the hammocks.  Shortly after we awoke and found our way back to the hut, it started pouring and thundering. I recorded it, it sounded so awesome. I also had recorded the animal noises of the jungle the night before. So cool!

Connie & I were saying we are going to quit our jobs & move to the jungle. Juan thought that was a good idea (I think he had a crush her!). It really is beautiful and peaceful. I see why people go & never come back.








No comments:

Post a Comment