Wednesday, August 20, 2014

White Water Rafting & Hot Springs!!

Day four started with a lazy morning walking around Salida to do a little shopping, enjoying the river walk and of course, take a couple pictures...

 The "S" in the day time...

And Spencer doing the push ups he promised coach Terry...

But mid morning, we needed to head north of Beuna Vista to AVA Rafting to hit the rapids!!! 

As always.. A beautiful drive.  On one side was the collegiate mountains... They are all named after the Big 10 schools.  Mt. Princeton, Mt. Yale, Mt. Harvard, etc. 
these are all called Chalk mountains... They all appear to be covered in chalk.


And the other side was called mosquito alley... Just a lot of granite and trees.


Spencer and I stopped off for a quick picnic lunch before we got to the rafting company.




And then it was time!  


We didn't get any other cell phone photos for obvious reasons... But spencer took some with his waterproof camera. (Maybe some day I will get them posted).  As you can imagine, it was beautiful!!!  The water was down a bit, so the rapids were pretty calm but we had a blast.  In our boat was just one younger couple from Miami and our guide, Miles.
We all had a blast.  Miles was so much fun. Spencer was hoping we would get both him and his other couple. All his wishes came true.  So, the most exciting part of the rafting trip was near the end, there is a rock that they called the diving board.  You had to scale the rocks about 20 feet up and then jump out and off!  Spencer was super excited and I was super hesitant.  When we got there spencer just assumed I wouldn't do it.  Miles encouraged me.  Spencer told me I had to.  So I climbed the rocks, very timidly, I stood on the edge, wondered what the hell I was thinking... And JUMPED!!  Yep, me!  Afraid of heights and all... I jumped off a cliff in Colorado! 
Spencer was shocked... But was already on his way up for a second jump.  I got a big hug from Miles with an I'm proud of you.  Funny how I knew this man for only 2 hours at this point but he knew how scared I was.  Apparently after watching me scale the rocks to get to the top, and seeing how timid I was, he told one of the other raft guides that he didn't think I would jump.  I proved him wrong!!  Yeah me!  

Spencer and I with our raft guide, Miles... 



The rain started coming in after we were driving away from rafting and heading to the Hot Springs... And it's still beautiful with the rays shining down through the clouds over Mt. Princeton!!

And then the Hot Springs... 






What was so cool is where we were sitting here in the river, the water was quite hot.  Yet parts were cool.  They had a bunch of rock, mostly granite, that was separating the hot spring from the river so some of the cool river water was coming in, but there were parts where we were sitting that was seriously burning us.  If you dug your feet or hands in the sand, it was crazy how hot it was.  




What a relaxing, fun, amazing time with my favorite little man!!





















No comments:

Post a Comment