Saturday, August 6, 2016

8/4/16: Leaving parts of Spencer in Costa Rica

Thursday, August 4

An early rise so we could get on the road and head to Arenal.  We missed our first night there so eager to see what we are missing.  

Up and at 'em by 6am! Quick shower (with no hot water) and a short walk to go pick up the truck.  Or should I say 2 short walks.  This is what happens when you forget your slip showing its your vehicle.  Oops.  But was a beautiful morning for a walk.  We got the old girl packed up and were on our way.  Or so we thought. It seems like an easy thing to put the address in the GPS.  Well.... Addresses here are a little different so I thought i just did it wrong. I remembered the guys at the rental place telling me just to put the name of the place of interest.  Our hotel was not recognized so we picked something that may be close.  We were on our way... Or so thought.  I could tell it wasn't taking us the right way. After about 47 minutes of arm wrestling with the GPS... And stopping twice to ask for directions only to find no one who spoke English.... We were close to the rental car place so we pulled in to ask them for help. They put in a point of interest they knew was close and the ironic thing is... We were about a football field from the road I had been looking for.  Now we were on our way!!  For real!!

Within the first 30 minutes.... It was obvious to me why it wasn't recommended to drive that at night. And I was very thankful I listened to those warnings. The road wasn't bad... But it was very windy and narrow shoulders. 
This may be a big part of the reason we left a little piece of Spencer in Costa Rica.  Yep... About half way through the drive... He started not feeling well.  We pulled over once and I told him to drink some water.  We were back on the road and he didn't perk up at all.  About 20 minutes later.... He's grabbing my bag of plantain chips to use as his barf bag. We then stopped at the next little town where he went to the bathroom and collected himself.  I looked in the shop next door and had a very nice chat with a man who gave me some motion sickness medicine for Spencer.  He also told me that the best thing to do is have him eat dry food and no liquids.  Hmmm... It all of a sudden made sense why it was shortly after I made him drink water that he got sick.  This man who was telling me this used to work on cruise ships and knows a lot about motion sickness.  Good news is... We made it the rest of the way with no further issues... Which was good because we were out of plantain chip bags!  

It took us a bit to find our hotel after arriving in Fortuna.  This place is a little hidden... Yes, we stopped to ask for directions... Third times a charm!  We found it!!   This is the view of the Arenal volcano.  It's beautiful!  Apparently during rainy season... It's rare to see the top of the volcano. We are feeling blessed.




After settling in we went to go find some food as we hadn't had a real meal since we arrived.  Lunch was delicious.  Chicken & Rice.  Apparently it comes with a side salad and French fries. An interesting combo, we thought, but it was delicious. 

Our next stop... Arenal tourist information. It was here that I booked our activity for tomorrow: Waterfall Rappelling!  Say what?!  I'm not really sure how he talked me into this one!  😁

We already know we won't have time to do everything we want here being we lost nearly a full day.. So today we decided to drive about 20 minutes to do the walking tour of the hanging bridges...
Yep... My fear of heights is still in perfect tact!  


We got threw about 1/2 the tour before we heard some thunder in the distance. It wasn't bit 10 minutes later that the sky's opened up like I have never seen before. At first it wasn't so bad as we were still in the forest and the trees blocked a lot.  The tough Part was it was so beautiful when we started the walk that we didn't even think to bring our rain gear.  Thank goodness Spencer at least had a backpack so we were able to somewhat protect my camera. It seemed like a very long walk back.  What's unfortunate is the water felt great and would have been way more enjoyable if we didn't have electronics we were trying to save! 
Good news... They were saved.  Bad news... I was so worried about the elcteinics, I didn't think of my purse so let's just say, we may be bringing home a little piece or Costa Rica with us too as dried up rain in our passports!  😁. They may be slightly warped and more lives after today!  

Driving back in the rain, although wasn't terrible... It wasn't great and made me that much more thankful I didn't drive last night.  The worst part... Spencers one outfit... Is now drenched!  What are the chances it will dry overnight?! 

Looks like we will lose some more time tomorrow shopping for new clothes for Spencer.  That's right... Still no bag.  We had some hope today though... Roxie made a call for me and they told her they have the bag.  Yeah! But then I called myself after we got back from our bridge hike and they basically told me my bag came in the same time as the others and if you don't have it my only option is to go back to the airport.  That would waste whole other day.  But oddly... Then Roxie called again and they told her that they have the bag and will deliver it to our hotel. Talk about a hope disappointment cycle??  The saga will continue until this darn bag is in our possession.  

We decide to not let the bag debacle bring us down.... So what are we tondo in the middle of monsoon type weather than to go swimming in the hot spring pool?!  We were already drenched, so why not enjoy the downpour by being in it!  This photo is horrible because it was raining so hard, I couldn't even focus the photo!
I took a video too... But it won't let me upload to here. The rain was so loud I couldn't even hear myself talk!
It was a fun night tossing the football around, in the downpour, in the hot spring pool, with an occasional glimpse of the volcano.  It was pretty awesome! Spencer commented more than once on how he really likes the place. Although... After we came in and started playing a card game... We were joined once by a bettle and once by a grasshopper (or that's what we thought it was). At this point he said "Inside is acting a little too much like the outside". True statement... Not sure how well I will sleep tonight! 😳
But it is that time....  Buenos notches! 

No comments:

Post a Comment