Monday, August 3, 2015

8/3/15: Oh How the Waters Fall

Day 5 - Monday, August 3

We woke up in Akureyri and had breakfast at Samuels guest house.  I will say, breakfast in Iceland is different than in the States.  Mostly bread and jam, yogurt (sometimes with granola, if you're lucky.), cheese and a soft boiled egg. We were thankful the couple days we've gotten an egg. Most of the breakfasts seem to be primarily carbs. 

After breakfast... We hoped in our Icelandic chariot to start our daily adventures. Of coarse we had to stop to get our photo overlooking Akureyri.

The weather was a bit foggy and we were a little worried our view. 

We got to our first waterfall: Godafoss
Although overcast, this was still a sight to see. They have some spectacular waterfalls here. 











There was also a couple getting married here. They were down near the river under the waterfall getting their pictures taken and we saw the priest.  What an amazing location to get married!
  
  

We also re-connected with Diego here. Was fun to see him.  We puzted around for a bit and took some photos.



We went back to the parking lot to leave our jackets and to swap out camera gear... we couldn't resist taking pictures with this truck...


We had learned the first night we met Diego that he had a drone... But he took it out to play with at the waterfall.  Super fun to see what he captured with it!  He also let us fly it!  Made me a little nervous, but I also realized that unless I actually crashed it into something, it was pretty easy. 
  
After we had taken in all we could at Godafoss, we jumped in the car to head to Aldeyjarfoss, which was about an hour drive. We called the drive Sheeps alley for how many times we had to stop for sheep in the road. 




Another interesting thing about Iceland is there are a ton of hitchhikers.  Connie and I had said that we would pick one up at some point. We saw a girl on this road and thought about picking her up, but we didn't because Diego was behind us. But then he stoppes to pick her up, which was awesome.  She was a sweet girl from Czech Republic. 

So... Aldeyjarfoss. This waterfall is off the beaten path a bit so much less of a tourist destination. It was magnificent. 

From this next photo... We hiked down to the edge to get closer to the waterfall. Actually,  I would say it was way more like rock climbing.  I hadn't even realized that Connie had gone down, until I saw her sitting on the edge taking in its beauty. When I realized it, I wasn't sure I had it in me.  My fear of heights was in full force.  It spooked me to try, but when Diego and I saw Connie... He looked at me and said "let's go".  I was hesitant and said I'm not sure I'd make it.  He said, sure you will and I'll help if you need.  He was very patient with me and talked me through a couple of the parts that worried me. 

I made it!  The three of us sat down there for a bit, just taking it all in. The water was powerful, the rock formations were amazing.  It's so crazy to think... There are years and years of history that made everything look the way it does.  



As much as we would have loved to sit here all day and just bask in the beauty... We had more we wanted to see so forced ourselves to leave.  

On our walk back... Connie found 100 Krona.  She picked it up for good luck!

Back up the rocks to hit the road again.  But... before that happened... we saw a large bird. Both Diego and I spent a good 10 minutes photographing it... until it flew away.


 

Back through Sheeps alley... a quick stop at this bridge... just because I thought it was cool and wanted to take a picture.  


Our next destination: Hverfell


Quote of the day: it's wide and white, like my ass ~Connie Gerten
Explanation of quote: referring to a waterfall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment