Tuesday, August 4, 2015

8/4/15: Rainy Day Bliss

Day 6 - Tuesday, August 4

We packed up and had a quick breakfast at Samuels.  Before we left, we snapped a picture with him and chatted with him and his dad for a bit.
They gave us some good information on things to do and a little history on Iceland.  One of the things we learned was this is the coldest summer they have had in 40 years!  Funny how the weather is kind of what Connie and I expected.  Although... it would have been nice if it was slightly warmer. 

Then we were off to see the Viti crater on top of Krafla.  The water in this crater was such an intense blue!  Beautiful!

To say the wind was intense would be an understatement!  We were guessing it to be in excess of 60 mph gusts.  There were times when our bodies literally were pushed around from the wind.  Slightly intimidating when you are standing on top of a crater!  I was afraid to take my cell phone out for photos for fear it would blow away!  Because of the wind and cold that came with it... we didn't spend too much time here.  

Next stop: Hverir.  This is Geo-thermal pools and mud pots.


There was a pretty strong sulfer smell here too.  Because it was cold and rainy and the fact that we had a pretty long drive ahead of us... we were not planning on staying long.  I had taken off my hiking boots after hiking Krafla because they were muddy so I had my nicer boots on.  Because of this, I didn't hike around to the different pools. Boy... what a stupid decision on my part.  Connie walked it and I was amazed at what she saw.  Some of these pools were literally like boiling mud.  She took some videos, which I will try to post soon.  Until then... here are some pics....













Back in the car to our next destination... two waterfalls that are in the same area.  The first: Dettifoss
It is located on the Jökulsá á Fjöllum river, which flows from the Vatnajökull glacierThe falls are 100 metres (330 ft) wide and have a drop of 45 metres (150 ft) down to the Jökulsárgljúfur canyon.  This is the most powerful waterfall in Europe.  It was impressive.  And with the spray from the waterfall... we felt like we took a shower!











Selfoss is located a few hundred meters upstream from Dettifoss.  Although Dettifoss is larger and more powerful.  I thought that Selfoss was more beautiful.




Back in the car to make the drive to Asyarvigri.  I was driving today and it was rainy and very foggy at times. It was my first drive on an F road.  I actually liked the F road (dirt) more than the pavement road in the rain.  Not to mention... they are just more fun!  :)

Next stop... Vot (green canyon).






We aren't sure we found what we were actually looking for, but we had a long drive this day and still needed to make it to our guest house in Vallness near Eglisstadir.  We ended up getting there a little after 10pm where we met Elsa, her husband and their super sweet dog.  We talked with them and another couple who was staying in the house for awhile.  We decided to stay up and look at pictures. Connie made some coffee and they had tea.  It was the best tea I think I've ever had.  Can't wait to try to find it.  Yummy!  She also had chocolate covered raisins.  I'm really becoming a big fan of these Air bnb guest houses.  It's way better than a hotel.  How awesome to stay in unique places and have the hosts give you history of the area as well as advice on anything and everything!  Everyone we have met has been so wonderful!  



No comments:

Post a Comment